Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
New York News
Fri September 28, 2012
Cleaner, Greener Communities Program Public Meetings Scheduled
Gov. Andrew Cuomo's Cleaner, Greener Communities program has taken off: its mission is to Create Green Jobs, Improve Energy Efficiency, and Reduce Pollution ... Hudson Valley Bureau Chief reports the panel is making a mark in the Capital Region.
Announced by Governor Cuomo in his 2011 State of the State Address, the Cleaner, Greener Communities Program is administered by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority. A coalition of Capital Region municipalities and organizations has received NYSERDA funding to create a regional sustainability plan for eight counties: Albany, Columbia, Greene, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectday, Warren and Washington.
Doug Melnick is Director of Planning for the City of Albany, the lead municipality for the project, the entity that applied for the funds
Mike Tucker is President and CEO of the Center For Economic Growth - he defines sustainability as simply "good common-sense practices that both businesses and individuals can implement on the short term".
The Greener Communities panel will participate in three public workshops: Monday Oct. 1st at Union College in Schenectady; Tuesday the 2nd, at the Fort Ann School District in Fort Ann; and Weds. the 3rd at Columbia-Greene Community College in Hudson.
The meetings run from 7 to 9 p.m. focusing on topics including but not limited to land use and livable communities, water, transportation, energy and climate adaptation.
Learn how the program works:
- Phase One: Creating Regional Sustainability Plans
- Phase Two: Implementing Smart Development Projects
Download the Cleaner, Greener Communities Fact Sheet [PDF]