Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Mon January 14, 2013
Casino Operators Face Massachusetts Deadline
Developers who want a chance to be awarded a casino license in Massachusetts face a 5PM Tuesday deadline to file an application with the Massachusetts Gaming Commission.
Mohegan Sun of Connecticut became the latest bidder for the lone western Massachusetts license when it filed paperwork and a nonrefundable $400,000 fee with the gaming commission. The company , also on Monday announced an investment partner to finance a proposed casino in rural Palmer. Mohegan CEO Mitchell Etess said his company has been cultivating the project in Palmer for more than 3 years.
MGM Resorts and Penn National Gaming have proposed projects in downtown Springfield. Hard Rock International entered the fray Friday when it announced a deal to build a resort casino on the Big E fairgrounds in West Springfield.