Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New York News
Wed September 12, 2012
Campaigns Come to a Close in NY Primaries
It’s the last day of campaigning before tomorrow’s primaries across New York.
Polls will be open noon to 9 Thursday as party-enrolled voters cast their ballots in state and local races.
A contest receiving widespread attention matches Republican Senator Roy MacDonald against Saratoga County Clerk Kathy Marchione in the 43rd district. The upstate incumbent broke with his party in support of same-sex marriage legislation last year.
Three Democrats are running for the right to face Rotterdam Assemblyman George Amedore in the new 46th district Senate race this fall.
Cohoes Mayor John McDonald is facing Albany Common Council President Carolyn McLaughlin in the race to replace retiring Assembly Majority Leader, Democrat Ron Canestrari, who is leaving the 108th district seat.
Eight candidates, including six Democrats, are on the ballot in the 109th district in the contest to fill the seat of retiring Assemblyman Jack McEneny.
And in Albany County, two-term incumbent District Attorney David Soares faces a heated challenge from Lee Kindlon for the Democratic line.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press