Most Active Stories
- Boston Bombing Suspect's Body Finally 'Entombed,' Police Say
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Dr. Zlatan Krizan, Iowa State University – Envy and Narcissism
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
Tue September 25, 2012
Burlington Makes Bid for Hydro Plant
Burlington's City Council has voted to reserve first-option rights on the purchase of a hydro plant on the Winooski River.
The Burlington Free Press reports that means the city's Electric Department will pay a $100,000 deposit to the private owners of the 7.3 megawatt Winooski One plant.
That deposit would either apply to the purchase price, or be returned if city voters don't authorize funds for the deal.
The full price of the three-turbine facility hasn't been determined.
The department has assessed the year-round power source as a potentially valuable asset, one that would help stabilize city power costs.
Officials said the plant is already connected into the municipal grid, and would incur relatively little transmission maintenance costs.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.