Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
New England News
Tue October 9, 2012
Boehner, Big Bird Face Off in Battleground NH
It was John Boehner versus Big Bird as both presidential campaigns tried to attract attention in New Hampshire with less than a month to go before the election.
Boehner, the Republican speaker of the U.S. House, rallied Mitt Romney supporters Monday at the campaign's office in Derry. Outside, President Barack Obama's campaign staged a small protest featuring someone dressed up as Big Bird, holding a sign accusing Romney of being "soft on Wall Street — tough on Sesame Street." The gimmick was meant to highlight comments Romney made in last week's debate about defunding PBS.
Boehner praised Romney's debate performance, saying he "made the sale" in a big way. He said both he and Romney will fight for a smaller, less costly and more accountable government.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press