Most Active Stories
- Boston Bombing Suspect's Body Finally 'Entombed,' Police Say
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Dr. Zlatan Krizan, Iowa State University – Envy and Narcissism
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
New York News
Mon December 24, 2012
Beet juice and brine mix to prevent NY Thruway ice
The New York State Thruway is getting special treatment this winter to help prevent icing. More from WAMC's Dave Lucas.
Crews will be spreading a mixture of sugar beet juice and brine ahead of storms to help head off icing along the 570-mile highway system.
The Thruway Authority says that won't replace rock salt, but the mixture has worked out as pre-treatment.
It expects to use 180,000 tons of rock salt, 175,000 gallons of salt brine and 50,000 gallons of the juice and brine mix this winter.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.