Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
New England News
Mon December 3, 2012
Baystate Hospital Opens New Emergency Center
A brand new $45 million dollar emergency and trauma center will open Monday at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield.
The new emergency center is 55 thousand square feet larger than the old ER, with double the number of patient care rooms..94. There are separate treatment centers for adults and children, and a unit dedicated to people who come in with mental health issues. Dr. Reginald Alouidor, a trauma surgeon says the new facility replaces one that was built in the 1980s and wass receiving almost twice the number of patients it was designed for
There is also a roof top helipad. As the only level 1 trauma center in the region, Baystate’s ER treats critically injuried people from throughout western Massachusetts.