WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel are back with the first show of the eighth season.
Last week's challenge
Start with the phrase PEACE CORPS. Add a letter, and you can rearrange the result to spell a six-letter word for something coins are often made of and a five-letter word for things you often see on coins. What are the words?
Answer: If you add an F, you can spell COPPER and FACES.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: SEASON "EIGHT"
On-air questions: It's the first show of season eight. To celebrate the start of our eighth trip around the sun with this show, each correct answer this week will have the consecutive letters E-I-G-H-T in it.
1. What technique, sometimes called prestidigitation, refers to the skills that magicians and other entertainers use to perform close-up tricks, often involving cards, coins, or other objects that are manipulated in front of the audience?
2. Its original plan was described in a 1972 book titled The Memoir of a Successful Loser by its founder Jean Nidetch, who formed it in the 1960s as a support group. Today, the foundation of its plan is based on assigning points to foods and drinks. By what name do we know this company?
3. What begins, "After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all the territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited."
4. What musical with music and lyrics written by Lin-Manuel Miranda takes place in a Hispanic-American neighborhood in the northern part of New York City and won three Drama Desk awards in 2007, the year it premiered off-Broadway, and four Tony Awards the following year?
5. Originally coined for use in the Illinois High School Boys Basketball Championship, what alliterative phrase is now most commonly associated with the NCAA basketball tournaments, where it is used for the round between the Sweet Sixteen and the Final Four?
1. What British author is often considered one of the three greatest spy novelists of all time, a distinction he earned with such works as 1962's The IPCRESS File?
2. What song comes between "Golden Slumbers" and "The End" on a famous 1969 album?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase SEASON EIGHT. Rearrange the letters to spell the name of a book of the Bible, and a word for a thing that often involves a Bible. What are the words?
1. Sleight of hand
2. Weight Watchers
3. Eighteenth amendment
4. In the Heights
5. Elite Eight
1. Len Deighton
2. "Carry That Weight"