Following the June Fund Drive, WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel switch seats for a show all about gratitude.
Last week's challenge
Start with the name MAPLE LEAFS. Change one letter to an L and you can rearrange the letters to spell a two-word phrase (four letters, six letters) for what you might do at a really boring sporting event. What is the phrase?
Answer: Change the M to and L and you can spell FALL ASLEEP.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: “THANKS”
On-air questions: Well Mike, this week has been WAMC’s June Fund Drive — a time for listeners, members and station staff alike to descend on pledge central to keep the station, and programs like this, alive. As you know from our post-drive promos, for every pledge that comes across the table, we give a hearty thanks. So today’s show is all about thanks.
1. A 2006 dark comedy starring Aaron Eckhardt, directed by Jason Reitman and based on a Christopher Buckley novel of the same name follows the exploits of tobacco lobbyist Nick Naylor, gun lobbyist Bobby Jay Bliss and alcohol lobbyist Polly Bailey, who call themselves the Merchants of Death. What is the name of this film?
2. The B-side to the 1963 U.K. single “From Me To You,” the song “Thank You Girl” later reemerged as the B-side to the song “Do You Want To Know A Secret.” “Thank You Girl” was originally credited to what songwriting partnership, an inversion of the more common name that settled in later?
3. A 1998 pop single called “Thank U” features the singer thanking India, terror, disillusionment, frailty, consequence and silence in that order. The controversial music video features that singer nude in locations like a subway car, a supermarket, and on the street. Who sings “Thank U” ?
4. Angering many grammarians, Thank You Fans minus the comma after “you” was written on the playing surface when what major league sport returned following a lockout in 2004-05 that caused the cancellation of the season and annual awards like the Vezina Trophy?
5. A recurring gag on late night TV in recent years has been thank-you notes, including to “bowling, for giving me an excuse to drink somebody else’s shoes on” and to people “who say I really shouldn’t, for letting me know you’re about to eat a lot of my fries.” What College of St. Rose alum is responsible for this gag?
1. Thank you often comes up in song lyrics in other languages. One of the best examples of this is in a 1983 song by the band Styx, in which what title character is thanked in Japanese?
2. Taking its title from a signed photo that becomes a plot point, what 1995 comedy stars John Leguizamo, Patrick Swayze and Wesley Snipes and features cameos by Robin Williams, Naomi Campbell and RuPaul?
This week's challenge
Start with the words CRANK and RADIO. Rearrange the letters and you can spell a four-letter food and a six-letter condition you don’t want your food to be in. What are the words?
1. Thank You For Smoking (it also features William H. Macy as a fictional Vermont Senator)
2. McCartney-Lennon (The A-side “Do You Want To Know A Secret” was the first George Harrison-sung song to reach the top 10)
3. Alanis Morissette
4. National Hockey League
5. Jimmy Fallon
1. Mr. Roboto (appears on the Styx album Kilroy Was Here)
2. To Wong Fu, Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar