Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
Fri January 13, 2012
Any Questions? #20
Albany, NY – WAMC's Ian Pickus and resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel welcome a special guest to play this week's show: NPR puzzlemaster and New York Times crossword editor Will Shortz, appropriately the first guest solver in Any Questions? history.
Last week's challenge
Begin with the word RESOLUTION. Add a letter, then rearrange the result to spell a two-word phrase (3 letters in the first word, 8 letters in the second) that names things someone might want to break free from in the new year. What are these things?
Answer: If you add a D, you can rearrange the letters to spell OLD ROUTINES.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: "WILL" OR "SHORT"
On-air questions: In honor of our first Guest Answerer, NPR Puzzlemaster Will Shortz, each correct answer this week contains either the word WILL or the word SHORT.
1. Cowboy and humorist who once said, "I belong to no organized party. I'm a Democrat."
2. Form of literature to which the O. Henry Award is given annually
3. 1997 film for which Ben Affleck and Matt Damon received Best Original Screenplay Oscars
4. Actor who famously portrayed George W. Bush and Alex Trebek on Saturday Night Live
5. Only Monopoly railroad whose name fits this category
6. 1977 Queen hit frequently heard at sporting events, usually with its companion song "We Are The Champions"
7. What can be found in pitch black but not in bright light, and in left but not in right
1. Portrayer of Ned Nederlander in the 1986 comedy Three Amigos!
2. Three-word catchphrase from the 1960s television series Lost In Space
This week's challenge
Take the name of a well-known person in the entertainment industry whose last name ends with a Z. (The first name has 7 letters, the last name has 4.) Change the Z to an I, then rearrange the result to spell two forms of entertainment. What are they?
1. Will Rogers
2. Short story
3. Good Will Hunting
4. Will Ferrell
5. Short line
6. "We Will Rock You"
7. Short vowel
1. Martin Short
2. "Danger, Will Robinson!"