Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
WAMC New England News
Tue February 14, 2006
Amherst Students Push for Sudan Divestment
By Dan Bobkoff
AMHERST, MA – The Darfur region of Sudan has been beset by violence since February 2003 as non-Arab rebels have fought government forces backed by militias. The UN estimates at least 180,000 people have died and at least 2 million people have been displaced in the crisis. Now, led by a student group, Amherst College has publicly divested its holdings in companies it says are aiding the government's military campaign-and it's pushing the state government and fund managers to do the same.
WAMC's Pioneer Valley Bureau Chief, Dan Bobkoff has the story.