Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Arts & Culture
Fri January 11, 2013
2 actors, 7 books, 70 minutes: Potted Potter in the GE Theatre at Proctors
In June of 1997, the first of J.K. Rowling’s “Harry Potter” books was published in the UK. The scarred and bespectacled boy wizard’s popularity is virtually immeasurable and his adventures fill the pages of 7 total books - which have been the basis for 8 feature length films. As with anything – if there is anything – as popular as Harry Potter, the creativity doesn’t stop there – or even with officially sanctioned theme parks. Fans of the world Rowling created continue to retell and re-imagine the stories through fan-fiction, music, and theater.
In Potted Potter, two actors, Daniel Clarkson and Jeff Turner, comically and energetically deliver Harry Potter’s story on stage in 70 minutes. 7 books in 70 minutes. In their production – which was nominated for an Olivier award in London and has toured globally – Jeff Turner plays Harry, and Daniel Clarkson plays everyone else.
The show will be in the GE Theatre at Proctors in Schenectady, NY next week. Here we speak with Daniel Clarkson – co-star and creator of Potted Potter.